Sunday, July 10, 2011

Never Going Back

Wow....so where do I even begin? The past few weeks in Kenya have been some of the hardest, most life changing weeks of my life. I have been broken and completely overwhelmed by God and His power. For the past 2 weeks, the team has been camping out in the Bush with the Masaai tribe. It was an amazing experience for me and I have learned so much. But I think what I would like to tell you about is what God has done just in the past few days while I have been in Nairobi.....
 
Well after being in the bush for 9 days with no way to shower, wash clothes, or make any contact with the outside world, I was pretty excited to have a few days of rest in a big city like Nairobi. Don't get me wrong. I LOVED LOVED LOVED ministry out in the bush! I would not trade it for anything because God did some amazing work while we were out there and I fell in love with the people so much while I was there. As much as I was ready to change my clothes and get the rediculous amount of dirt off my body, it was really hard to leave the bush. I got so comfortable with the life of simple living and even sitting here now, I would give anything to go back there. It really is just you and God out there. No cell phones. No internet. No electricity. No IPODs. Nothing but you, God, and His wonderful creation. It's just something that you cannot find in the states so I loved taking advantage of that time. Anyways...I kind of went off on a little rabbit trail there but basically I just love Ewaso and God :) So back to my story.....After about 8 hours of travel, the team finally arrived at our hostel in Nairobi, which is actually pretty nice. I mean there are actually beds, showers with shower heads, and toilets. I honestly didn't know what to do with myself when we got here. I was just so overwhelmed with the fact that I got to actually take a real shower, which I have not been able to do since I arrived in Africa, and get to use a real toilet. Can you say culture shock? lol So after getting cleaned up, I decided to get on the computer and check my facebook and the blog to see if people had commented on anything. I ended up getting a video post and a blog comment from my roomate, Becca. One of the things that she kept saying was "Look how far you have come! Look what God has done in your life this past year! Just think about where you were last year for a minute and then look at where you are today." I began to thank about that for a few minutes and I seriously just began to cry. I mean to really think about who I was last year and who I am today.....it is a rediculous transformation that could only have happened through God. Most of you reading this blog don't know about my past and the girl I was a year ago.....but I will tell you...it is a HUGE difference. Writing this I am just speechless. You don't really realize how far you have come until you turn around and look at where you have come from. I cannot wait to see what God does in my life these last three weeks of the trip. I want to be wrecked even more. I want to be blown away even more than I am right now. I am growing. I am falling more and more in love with God. Man I just LOVE JESUS!!! :) I SURRENDER ALL TO YOU GOD!! My life is no longer my own! I live for you and you alone. Lead me. I will follow you regardless of what that means for my life. I am yours. To you be the glory. Forever and Ever! Amen.
 
Before I go, I want to share a quick story of ministry that happened here in Nairobi yesterday. The team decided to spend the morning at this coffee shop near the hostel, which was very close to a coffee place in the states. Anyways so while we were there, I was having an awesome morning of worship. I mean God was just blowing my mind. I was listening to my IPOD and almost busted out in worship in the middle of the coffee shop because I was just so overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit and the work He was doing in my life. I was SO happy and could not stop smiling all morning. So basically I was having a pretty incredible morning. Well as I was sitting there, I was looking around and praying that God would give me an opportunity to do some ministry while in Nairobi. I knew we were there for rest but God is everywhere and so that means wherever I am, opportunities to minister are going to arise. Well as I was sitting there, Charlie came up to me and challenged me to go sit with these two Muslim girls who were at a booth and just witness to them. I was like awesome God! Thank you for answering my prayer so quickly. :) So without a hesitation, I got up, walked over to their table and said "Hey I know this sounds weird but would it be cool if I sat and talked with you guys." They looked at me like I was crazy but were like "Sure...." Let me remind you that this is a pretty westernized part of the country so having some random American walk up to your table and ask to sit down is just as weird here as doing it the states. Anyways, I began to ask them about their lives and what it is like to grow up in Kenya. They told me about their college and what they were studying and a little bit about their lives. So then I was just like, "So what religion do you practice?" They told me they were Muslim and began to tell me a little but about their faith. I then asked them if it was okay that I share the Gospel with them. I got a response that I wasn't really expecting. The girl just said "Why?" I just wanted to be like "Because Jesus is awesome and I want to tell you about Him" but instead I began to tell them my story and what God had done in my life since I began to follow Him and fall more and more in love with Him. For the next hour, we had a great conversation about my beliefs and they began to ask questions about why I believed what I believed. I think mostly they were just asking so they could try and prove me wrong with something that they believed but I didn't care. I just was happy to get to share with them the story of an AMAZING God who loves them and wants a relationship with them. In then end, they did not give their life to Christ but I firmly believe that a seed was planted that day. After all, it is not my job to save them. All I have to do is speak to them the truth that I believe and see God do the rest. I am continuing to pray for those girls and I would like to ask that anyone reading this do the same. I pray that God pour his spirit on them and even though I may never see them again on this earth, I pray that I will one day see them in Heaven. "How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'" Romans 10:14-15 This is why I am here and this is my calling! I will continue to be used by God and follow Him wherever He takes me. I will continue to witness to people no matter what the outcome. I will be BOLD! :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment